Monday, September 16, 2013

"House Hunters International"

The past two weeks I have been searching for somewhere to live. The Headmaster at the Gymnazium where I teach obtained accommodation for me at a dorm about a five minute walk away. It wasn't so bad, until we all found out that since the children go home on the weekends, the building shuts off its hot water and heat from Friday afternoon until Sunday night. This wasn't conducive for me since I'd have to live there for the next ten months.

Thus, I went house hunting. Back home, HGTV has a show called House Hunters International. I felt like I was on it. Usually, an American is moving to another country, and needs to find a place to live. It showcases three options, so here were mine:

Option #1: One bedroom flat in the center of town, above a restaurant. Brand new construction. Sparsely furnished.

Option #2: Live with a colleague in their modern flat. Stainless steel appliances, spacious two bedrooms, living room, and balcony. Fully furnished. 10km from school in an outside village.

Option #3: Fully furnished studio flat. 5 minute walk to the center of town, 10 minute walk to work.

Decision?

Option #3. Since I'm only here for 10 months, I didn't want to invest too much in any furniture or appliances. Also, I commuted for the past two years, so I wanted to get away from that and not have to rely on a colleague, bus, or train every time I wanted to go somewhere. Autonomy was key.

Here is a virtual guided tour of my flat:

No comments:

Post a Comment