Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Strakonice

Strakonice [Strak-oh-neatz-ah] is located in Southern Bohemia, a region in the Czech Republic. I cannot say exactly what I was expecting upon arrival, but I do know that it is everything I could have ever wanted for living abroad by myself. Now, I may have chosen the Czech Republic as the country in which to partake in a Fulbright Scholarship, but Strakonice was where I was placed by the Czech Fulbright Commission. I think they made a perfect match :)

In some ways, this quaint town reminds me of home. There are a few small parks with paths for walking, running, and even cycling


with gorgeous gardens and wild flowers galore.




The centrum, or town center, is composed of the "Big Square" and "Little Square". In reality, they are just two long streets filled with shops, restaurants, confectionaries, and more. 


You might notice all the lovely colors of the buildings. In the words of Eva, "It wasn't like this just twenty years ago. Everything was dark and gray [under the Communists]. Then, the Velvet Revolution came, the Commies left, and there was this explosion of color everywhere." I believe part of the reason I chose the Czech Republic is because of its history. I love hearing the exchanges as people compare and contrast the country from then until now. Plus, America doesn't really focus on this small country on its own. Most Americans don't know where this country is on a map, let alone its existence. It's more like "It was the time of Communism, and then it wasn't". I'm here to learn more.


Strakonice is actually known for being a bag-pipping town. However, most Americans are only aware of the Scottish bagpipes, the ones where you must use tons of lung power in order for it to produce sound. The Czech Republic has a different bag pipe, and perhaps a more clever one. Instead of breathing thru the pipe, the bag goes underneath your right armpit, and you pump it for the sound to come out. Thus, you can sing and play the bag pipes at the same time, and even dance, too! This statue is in the middle of the Big Square, a tradition to be commemorated. 


Flowing through the middle of Strakonice, is the Otava river. You can go swimming in it, although it's a bit too cold for that now. It's so peaceful and calming to be near. This river actually flows here from the Šumava Mountains!


Next to the river is the Podskali. It's the outdoor space next to the Otava river. Again, there is a path for walking/running, and a paved bath for biking/roller blading. I think this weekend I will go out and buy both. In addition, there are a few playground spots for kids, and two pubs. I've been to one so far.


One day I took my book and sat on a bench to read with this gorgeous view.


There is also the local town brewery, which makes Dudak beer. I think it's better than Plzen (Pilsner).



On one of my other journeys, I found what reminded me of Stonehenge [though I've never been]. It's quite small, but quite unusual.


The oldest part of Strakonice is the castle. I walked around, but I need to go for an actual tour and to the museum there, which I heard was small, but interesting.

Strakonice Castle on the Otava River

Main Entrance to Strakonice Castle

Church

Lookout Tower
Strakonice Castle Petting Zoo
Another View of Strakonice Castle
I thought this was a lovely view of St. Margaret's Church off of the Otava River.


And, again, more up close and personal.


There's plenty of ducks, too, for those who want to toss bread and feed them. I haven't yet, but I will.


Lastly, most of the people in the Czech Republic live in flats, or small apartments. Though this isn't my building, I live in one just like it. I'll take pictures of my flat soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment