Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Culture Shock

I have been living in the Czech Republic for nearly three months now and have felt plenty of culture shock throughout my stay. Some aspects of the Czech culture still baffle me, while others have simply become part of my daily routine. Here are some examples.

Mobile Phones. In the 21st century, most people would say they could not live without their mobile phone. Well, when you move to a new country and you don't know anyone, it's pretty easy to function without a mobile phone. I obtained a Czech SIM card within a week of being here, but felt like there was no point. I became friends with some of the other Fulbright ETAs, but we're scattered all over the Czech Republic, so I really only meet with them about once a month. Then, I finally made some Czech friends, but they don't use their cell phones all that often. Most people are on a pre-paid plan here, so they'd rather go online and use Facebook to communicate and discuss plans beforehand so that it's free. Also, many places have WiFi, so it's not necessary to have a data plan. In general, Americans are way more attached to their mobile phones and various other forms of technology than the Czechs.

Tumble Dryers. I'd say this appliance is one I truly miss from home. No one has a tumble dryer in the Czech Republic, which implies they are very environmental and economical. After you wash clothes, everything has to be hung on a drying rack/clothesline. To my dismay, I have lines right above my shower, which proves to be a problem when I actually do need to shower. Generally speaking, clothes take about two full days to dry completely, so I have to take the damp clothes down to shower, then put them back up again after I'm done. Also, drying clothes on a line makes them super wrinkly, which means you have to iron absolutely everything. At first, I would just iron an outfit everyday in the morning before work, but that became a problem as I found myself pressing snooze more times than I should. If I ironed at night, sometimes I would have to change outfits because the weatherman was wrong the night before (who knew!?). After consulting with Jana, I was told to just iron a whole load of laundry in one day while watching a television show. After one or two times, I discovered this was a very clever idea. The washing machines here are about half the size of the ones back home, yet it still takes me about 40 minutes to iron an entire load of laundry, but like I said, it can easily be done while watching television. Plus, you can decide what you want to wear in the morning without a hitch.

Hot Chocolate. In America, hot chocolate is usually a liquid substance. There's a packet of cocoa powder and it's mixed with hot water, milk, or a combination of both. In the Czech Republic, there are two versions depending on the cafe or restaurant. Some places serve hot chocolate that is literally like a melted chocolate bar in your cup. It's usually pretty thick and it's not really a beverage. The other kind is more of a warm chocolate pudding. Again, not really a beverage, but more of a snack. I prefer the later.

"To Go". Ordering beverages or food "to go" is a relatively new idea to the Czechs, or to them "For here, or take away". They don't really understand why one would not want to sit down, relax, and talk with friends/family over a nice cup of coffee, tea, or even lunch. In fact, there are only two places in my town that offer beverages to go, and most people don't even use it. Even Prague, the biggest city here, does not rely on "to go" options. It's very different from America, where everyone always seems on the go and in a rush to get to their next destination. The Czechs have a way more laid back society and seem to enjoy life more.

Living Arrangements. Alright, perhaps this isn't really a "culture" shock, however, this is the first time I have ever lived alone. Growing up I lived with my parents and two older brothers. When I went to college, I dormed with other athletes, then rented an apartment with some of my track teammates. Afterward, I moved back home. There are pros and cons to living with and without others. I miss having family or roomies to talk with at the end of the day, watch television/movies, play games, or make dinner with whenever I want. On the upside, I don't have to worry about other people's messes, being "too loud" when others have work the next day, or getting yelled at for using all the hot water in the shower! I can do whatever I want whenever I want, still it sometimes gets lonely. Often I find myself venturing into town to sit at a cafe and read a book or practice my Czech by myself, because hey, at least I'm sort of surrounded by others.

Atmosphere. I'm from New York. You know, the "city that never sleeps" and the "concrete jungle", where a variety of places are open 24/7, you can shop til 9/10PM, and bars/clubs close around 4AM. In particular, I'm from the Town of Brookhaven on Long Island, which has a population of about 410,000 people. I currently live in Strakonice, which has a population of about 24,000 people! This is the biggest culture shock of all. Now, don't get me wrong, the people I surround myself with back in the States are extremely family-oriented. Of course, this means my friends and I are all adopted by each other's families, too. We are almost always home for dinner, we don't mind spending the weekend at home with our families, and we definitely don't mind hanging out with our parents (although there may have been a point in our lives when we hated it). The Czechs take this to a whole different level. Every day after work, they just go home to their families to have dinner and relax. I mean, every shop and most cafes close around 5 or 6PM. The only places that remain open are pubs and restaurants, and even these are closed daily around 11PM or midnight. Usually, the town center is like a ghost town after 6PM. The worst part is that it's not just Strakonice; even Prague becomes dead at night, especially now that it's November and most of the tourists are gone! In addition, hardly anything is open on Saturdays, and you can forget about running errands on Sundays. Most Czechs spend the weekends at their "weekend cottages" or having day trips to the nature. I love the family-centered lifestyle, but often find myself missing home. Perhaps I'm just a spoiled New Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment