Monday, December 2, 2013

Home Sweet Home (in the CZ)

When I first moved to Strakonice, I was bewildered by its small size. I questioned whether or not I would be bored from its lack of venues, attractions, and events. Clearly, I live a completely different lifestyle here than I did in New York. However, I am now quite accustomed to my new home. Though boredom does strike now and then, I like going to a few key places in town and having the owners and employees know me. It's a very personable atmosphere and people are very patient with me as I try my best to pronounce the Czech words and communicate with them. In fact, they often help me pronounce the words, repeat them, and talk slower so I can understand. There's a kindness that can't really be matched back home.

On another note, the Czechs, and more importantly all Europeans, could learn a thing or two from the anti-smoking laws we have back in the States. I personally despise every aspect of a smoking culture, especially the stench. For instance, my friends and I went to the disco, or something similar to a lounge, and people were smoking inside. Firstly, I don't want to breath that in and have it affect my lungs. Secondly, every piece of clothing I had on reeked upon leaving. I mean, even my hair and skin smelled horrible. I had to take a shower and put my clothes in the laundry as soon as I returned home. 

Also, while we're on the topic of the disco, let me tell you what it's like there. First, you check your coat for 5 korunas, which is mere pennies. There's no line to get inside really, and you don't have to pay a cover. There is an actual disco ball above the dance floor; both are made up of various colored squares that change to the music. It seemed very 1970s to me. I found the DJ to be a tad bit old, perhaps around 50, to be playing music in a dance club. The discos here play a lot of slow songs for couples, which doesn't happen in the States at all. Then, there was a mixture of popular Czech and American songs, but they didn't really play any hip-hop or R&B, or anything relatively new. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still had fun. Also, the drinking age in the Czech Republic is 18, so we actually saw some of our students there!

Anyway, when my mother was visiting, we spent about two days here so she could see where I lived and worked as well as meet me friends and colleagues. First we walked around town and across the bridge to the castle. Clearly, autumn looks amazing along the Otava riverside!


Mom Overlooking Otava River

Me and Mom

Mom found the Petting Zoo.



Of course, I bought her some feed for the animals. 


She's a really big kid.


Small Beach Between Castle and River

Then, we walked on the outskirts of town to Strakonice's very own Stonehenge. Actually, Rudolf told me that a Czech man wanted to prove that the Stonehenge in England was done by people without modern technology back in the day; that it truly was possible. These stones are smaller, but still substantial. The man did it with simple tools like logs and ramps. It just took a long time and a lot of hard work, then again, which wonders of the world and ancient ruins did not?!




We also went for a walk along the Podskali at dusk.

Man Fishing -- He Caught One!

Leaves Upon Leaves Upon Leaves

The Otava River looks quite eerie at sunset.



Mom enjoyed meeting my friends and colleagues for dinner, too, which I organized at an Italian restaurant in town so that she could talk and interact with them more. She felt better once she knew who I was actually hanging out with and who was helping me out here in the Czech Republic. I told her I was fine, which of course, you can all read from my blog posts, but she said "mothers need to see for themselves".

No comments:

Post a Comment